Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Things to think about for the Next Remodel

I thought I'd keep a little running list of things to remember for next (as if!).  Who knows.  But there are few things I didn't think through that have caused some consternation.  Remodelers beware.

(1) Location of plugs, especially in areas with decorative tile.  As previously, noted, my team had to lower all my kitchen plugs because they were slotted to interrupt my single row of decorative tile.  Yuck.  I wouldn't have thought to put them there, but my designer says that's how most people do it.

(2) My friend Dana also suggested using a plug strip nestled underneath the upper cabinets.  But it was too late by the time I got that info.  Maybe next time.  The benefit of this technique is that no plugs are visible around the walls -- good for if you have granite or decorative tile that shouldn't be interrupted.

(3) Another note on plugs.  In retrospect, would have been nice to have a few inside cabinets, where I could plug in cell phone charges and thread cord into drawers for charging out of sight.

(4)  Really think through plumbing fixtures and where they will go.  As it turns out, I bought a tub that can't be turned so that I'd be soaking looking outward because you have to be able to access the pump, etc.  If I'd known that limitation, probably would have chosen different tub.  Also, I assumed fixtures would be in same place on the wall, but didn't think through whether they would be difficult to reach because of the shower.  So now we'll put them in the center on the wall...fingers crossed.  I had a similar problem with my sink.  The sink I chose was too deep for the faucet to be mounted in the center.  I'm reconciled with a side mounting but it never occurred to be that would be an issue.

More soon:

(5) Really think about things like how deep shelves will be and how they will look.  I've ended up having to redo my living room shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment